Children’s theater is the best model for education


We're back for another season of theater. We're lucky enough to live near a family theater company.  When I think about what I want my children to learn, what is important, what they need, the one thing that provides many of these things is theater. I want my child to be enthusiastic about learning new things. I want my child to understand history. I want my child to be able to work independently, to cooperate in a group, to be responsible for her share. I want my child to learn to meet deadlines, to be punctual, to keep track of her own stuff. I want my child to read and articulate well. I want her to be able to think on her feet. I want her to embrace her creative side. I want all these things for her. As a protective mother hen, I also want my child to socialize in a somewhat controlled environment where I know she is physically safe.  I want her to have friends with the same interests, maturity level and intelligence. I want her to have the brain development that comes with fine arts. Most of all I want her to have the joy that comes with opening night and a job well done. Isn't this what we all want for our children?

I think we need to remodel our education system with a theater focus. Every child benefits from the fine arts. If a child isn’t interested in being on stage, there is plenty to do behind the scenes. Everything from set design, lighting, music and the whole business side of it.

 

There is something for every child. Our schools are filled with entirely too much testing. Its not necessary. How do you gage what a child has learned? You just watch. At no time in theater does the director have the children sit down and take a written exam on their lines, dance moves or responsibilities. No, they learn by doing it, doing the work of it every day. The results are obvious, for better or worse during the show. Whether the show is fantastic or a hard knock, the children will learn from it.








http://www.nstartheatre.org/

Comments

Popular Posts